Sunday, November 23, 2008

Text fight

With new phones comes texting, and with texting comes text fighting. The worst of all fighting, texting leaves the victims two steps away from eachother, stripping them of face to face interaction, and voice inflection. The fight can come from anywhere. It lurks, waiting for you. Your friend texts something that is interpreted as one way, but meant another--fight ensues. Your friends texts you out of the blue to tell you something you did that made them mad--fight ensues. The latter comes from social courtesy--it's hard to be mean when someone's looking right at you. A phone creates a barrier. Texting creates time. Both equal a deadly combination that leads to disaster. I, in fact, got in a text fight last night. I was blindsighted by it. I thought I was in the clear. But when that phone jingle went off--I knew something was wrong. I flipped it open, read it. I was in peril; social doom was knocking at my door. I texted back. Text fight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just got into a custody/finance fight with my wife via txt. It incites so much rage to not be in front of a person...there is no mediation, and like a slippery slope...once the txtn ensues it is almost impossible to end.