Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hurricane Kona

I strongly believe that all pets should be spayed or neutered. Not just because I work at an animal hospital and I grew up watching the Price is Right, but because it's sick how many animals are without homes. With puppy mills cranking out disease ridden inbred dogs like they were trying to break a record, the innocent money making machines are left anemic in the back of a pick up truck. Truth comes out when the potential purchasers of these six hundred dollar pups can't balance cute with cost--and here we are. And on top of that, pet owners not getting their pets spayed or neutered, letting them loose to get pregnant and add to the hungry puppy population. I get it, we all make mistakes. But what if that mistake can be prevented? Dogs don't have sex for pleasure, they have sex to procreate. By spaying or neutering your pets, you are eliminating the problem and still giving a happy home to a pet in need. 

Keeping with this belief, on Thursday I went in to work with my Kona Bear to get her spayed. Though the operation was a successful one, there were some "complications". Now, don't let my story sway you from getting your pet spayed or neutered; what happened with Kona is very rare. During the surgery, she was fine. But right when the doctor was closing the incision, there was blood everywhere. Kona went cold. And the worst part was that not one of the three doctors (after two of which rushed to aid the one performing the surgery) could find where the blood was coming from. I work at the front desk at the clinic, making appointments and such, and it is absolutely horrifying having to pull people from the exam rooms and tell them to come back another time because the doctors are busy--saving your dog. By the time my shift was over, Kona was out of surgery laying on a heating blanket while her anesthesia wore off. They kept her for the next five hours watching her slowly awake from slumber. When I came back to get her that evening, I couldn't stop hugging her. Sure, I mean, she's just a dog, but if you've read my previous post about her, she really brightens up my life. The incision line went from two inches to six, enclosed by thirty staples. She is laying next to me now. Asleep. And alive. And I'm grateful. 

No comments: