Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christmas Favorite: A Cajun Christmas

My dad used to go away on business in New Orleans. One holiday season, while he was there, he picked up an Orleans take on the holiday favorite: On the Night Before Christmas. Ever year since then, my family has gathered around the my dad's big red chair to hear his all-to-perfect cajun accent sing out the Cajun night before Christmas. As my dad places the santa hat upon his balding head, and his white beard begins to glow fro the fire, he tells us about Boudreax and Tibideaux--in true Cajun fashion--trying to catch Santa coming in on his sleigh being pulled by alligators. The tale tells of swampy Christmas traditions, and brings giggles from even my five year old niece. It's the family aspect, though, that makes it joyous; how my quite large immediate family can sit for just ten minutes and laugh at something we've heard millions of times before. This Christmas, I hope, is no different.

No comments: