Sunday, December 7, 2008

What the kids are watchin'


I was walking through the neighborhood Target, looking at things to get my nieces for Christmas when I noticed the twenty fifth anniversary edition of The Last Unicorn (1982). Since it came out before I was born, some of my peers may not have gotten to experience the cult classic; my older brother and sister gave me that opportunity. I see the movie as almost a token of my childhood--I watched it all the time. So, when I saw the new packaging and digitally remastered, first ever DVD version of the movie on Target shelves, I was overjoyed. But when I watched again, I realized how incredibly dark that movie really is. My God. I asked myself how, at my young age, I wasn't scared of the spooky forest or the decrepit, wart-ridden gypsy woman. And I frankly have no idea how I survived it.
But, I realized also that this "my parents let me watch this?!" revelation wasn't the first I've ever had. The kids in my generation were exposed to some weird stuff. Really, I'm not complaining. These movies are very entertaining. Sure, there are no CGI robots or ogres; and the "passe" animation didn't even use a computer for help... just hands.
It's classic. It's a memory. And I plan on having my kids enjoy the simplistic, non-realistic, slighty frightening movies that I gazed upon when I was their age. I can't wait for the "ughh.. mom what is this crap? It's only 2D"

No comments: